[ntp:questions] Re: Correcting my time servers clock drift on Alpha ES40s / Tru64

Tom Smith smith at cag.zko.hp.com
Tue Oct 25 13:53:51 UTC 2005

David Woolley wrote:
>According to the man pages peer has the following description:
>

> Your man pages claim conformance to version 3 of the protocol, and the
> RFC, but you are clearly running version 4 of the protocol, for which there
> is not yet a public specification.  Your supplier has probably simply retained
> the man pages from the previous version.  (Personally I strongly disagree
> with the policy of dropping man pages, but Dave Mills is a rather strong
> willed person.)
>

>>"This command specifies that the local server is to operate in
>>"symmetric active" mode with the remote server host_address.  In this
>>mode,the local server can be synchronized to the remote server and, in
>>addition, the remote server can be synchronized by the local server.
>>This is useful in a network of servers where, depending on various
>>failure scenarios, either the local or remote server host may be the
>>better source of time"

The latter paragraph is exactly what's in the HTML documentation included in
that version of ntpd (4.0.98a) by the project. However, I agree that requiring
every vendor to individualy transcribe the HTML-only documentation into the form
that users actually want to have it is an invitation to divergence.

-Tom