[ntp:questions] Re: Correcting my time servers clock drift onAlpha ES40s / Tru64

Brian T. Brunner brian.t.brunner at gai-tronics.com
Wed Oct 26 13:22:31 UTC 2005

Suggestion for David Mills: Write a man page that points to the HTML documentation.

As a chronic dummy in chronic need to RTFM, "man -k" is my canonical
substitute for "wtf?"  If there are stub man pages created in the install script
(to catch man page queries such as man -k ntpdate)
that point to the install directory where the html pages are, then the default
installation  will point me where I need to go.

Sweetness and Light have conspired to put me behind a corporate firewall
that DOES NOT propagate connections from my regular working machines
(Linux) so all mail/web work requires going to a corporate-provided machine
(I love my KVM switch!)  I doubt I'm the only one with an orphan system.

Brian Brunner
brian.t.brunner at gai-tronics.com
(610)796-5838

Hal Murray wrote:
>>That script is broken (bug 348) and Peter Boettcher (the script author
>>and one-time maintainer) seems nowhere to be found.
>

> I'd be happy with fake man pages that told me where the
> html stuff was installed.  And maybe the URL for the wiki.
>
> Something for a see-also section would be good too.

I expect that we will always ship the latest HTML documentation each
time we create the tarball and that documentation should be authorative
for that snapshot or release. We may also make available either man
pages or tools to convert the HTML documentation to manpages (if
possible) in the future but that's under discussion.

We don't want to get away from the HTML documentation, it's too useful
for making available to everyone.

Danny