[ntp:questions] IEEE 1588 support in NTP?

David D. Hagood wowbagger at sktc.net
Thu Oct 27 14:44:54 UTC 2005

Has any consideration been given to adding support for IEEE-1588
Precision Time Protocol (PTP) into NTP?

PTP (http://ieee1588.nist.gov/) is a standard for time synchronization
over LAN for instrumentation - it is a part of the LAN extensions for
Instrumentation (LXI - http://www.lxistandard.org/), and provides for
time sync to tens of nanoseconds (YMMV - routers screw that up). The
intended use is in a stack of instruments in a lab, connected to each
other and to a PTP source via a local hub.

The overall goals and methods of PTP are very much the same as NTP, and
I'd hate to have to put both NTPD and PTPD
(http://ptpd.sourceforge.net/) on the same machine as they would fight
like cats and dogs over who was master - ideally you'd have one daemon
doing both, and picking the "best" source.

Where I work we are building gear that is Linux based (and so can have
NTPD trivially) but I'd like to be fully LXI compliant which means
supporting PTP as well (plus some of the stuff we do we need time sync
to at worst hundreds of nanoseconds), and being a lazy cuss I'd rather
see something like that in the mainstream NTPD rather than having to put
it in myself on our own branch.

If possible, please reply to both my work email (David.Hagood at
aeroflex com) as well to the list (yes, I hate it too when somebody asks
that) - something between the list and my desk seems to be eating the
list mails.

David Hagood
Principal Software Engineer
Aeroflex Wichita
David (period) Hagood at Aeroflex (period) com