[ntp:questions] Re: NTP Public Services Project help - +1 hour setting

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid
Mon Sep 5 11:23:26 UTC 2005

MrBr wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm trying to build a NTP server
> I'm using NTP Public Services Project ntp server
> Due to the problems the windows with the daylight saving changes (it's
> changes not on a common bases) the windows isn't supporting it. So
> twice a year I have to change the time offset to UTC.
> I can't change the time zone for this purpose because the time zone
> should be always correct
>
> How can I add a one hour difference to the NTP server?
> Can anyone help me with this problem?

MrBr,

NTP works purely in UTC.  What time is displayed by Windows (and other
operating systems) is determined by the OS, using the Control Panel Date &
Time or Regional Settings applet.  Internally, Windows also works in UTC.

I have Windows systems here using NTP which have both zero offset (UTC)
and local time (GMT/BST) without any problems.  What problems are you
seeing?  There should be no need to change the time-zone setting - as you
say that should be constant.  Is there a particular application causing
the problems?  If so, I suggest investigating the settings for that
application.

I don't know the "NTP Public Services Project ntp server".

There are Windows versions of the standard NTP software already available
here:

  http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Main/ExternalTimeRelatedLinks

  http://norloff.org/ntp/

  http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm