[ntp:questions] Re: NTP Public Services Project help - +1 hour setting

Heiko Gerstung heiko.gerstung_removeme_ at meinberg.de
Tue Sep 6 09:18:09 UTC 2005

David J Taylor wrote:
> You may be able to automate this by building up the required registry
> entries with the Time Zone Editor (using the link I gave to understand
> more about the settings), export the registry file, and import it on your
> 100+ servers.  Messing with NTP simply isn't the right way to do this.

... because it does not know anything about time zones. NTP uses UTC as
a time base, as does your Windows system (internally). The time shown in
the lower right corner of your screen is only a calculated time (UTC +
current UTC-Offset of your timezone), therefore NTP will not solve your
problem.

David's solution sounds great to me, just edit your local registry,
export the affected registry branch with regedit and apply it to your
100+ servers via an automated software distribution system.

You may write a simple batch file which imports a .reg-file into the
local registry in certain intervals or only just before the "DST
switching season" begins.

Just out of curiosity, we are talking about which county ...?

Kind regards,
Heiko

MEINBERG Radio Clocks
www.meinberg.de

IRIG. Rackmount and desktop versions and PCI slot cards.