[ntp:questions] Re: Large offset problem with xntpd 3.4x, DEC UNIX, and TrueTime NTS-100s

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com
Sat Sep 10 10:29:04 UTC 2005

Spence Green wrote:

> I was recently tasked with fixing a time synchronization setup on a
> closed network.  We have two old TrueTime GPS XL receivers each
> connected over IRIG-B to two TrueTime NTS-100 (560-5151) NTP time
> servers (four total NTS-100s).  I don't know which version of the ntp
> daemon the NTS-100s run, but they were released in 1996.  They cannot
> peer with each other and are locked in mode 4 (server) operation.
> Each NTS-100 has an ethernet connection.  From the client side, we
> have several hundred DEC Alpha workstations, each running Digital
> UNIX 4.0d and xntpd 3.4x.  I've tested a number of synchronization

Ouch, please try a less than 10 year old version of NTP!

> I've searched the list archives and the internet about large offsets;
> most sources say that xntpd detects falsetickers with an appropriate
> number of sources.  Is there a bug in this version of xntpd?  I

Almost certainly so, because what you describe is seriously broken, and
not what I see here, where I happen to have one broken refclock: It is
never selected, and the clients determine that it is a falseticker.

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at hda.hydro.com>