[ntp:questions] Re: Hardware SNTP server

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Sun Sep 11 02:22:42 UTC 2005

Terje Mathisen wrote:
> Hiroshi Toriyama wrote:
>>Though the performance seems sufficient, we afraid there
>>can be potential problems because complex functions
>>are omitted in this server.
>>It responds only to NTP request pakets in unicast UDP,
>>it can't handle authentication options, KoD, etc...
>

> This is still fine for a public S1 server:
>
> - You don't need KoD because you'll never be processing-limited.

I disagree. You always get abuse clients. KoD is one way of attempting
to alleviate the situation those most of the clients violates the NTP
specs anyway.

> - You don't need to support authentication unless you have to serve
> clients (i.e. paying customers) who absolutely require crypto-traceable
> timestamps.

You certainly DO need authentication if people are going to trust your
server to provide a service especially at the Stratum 1 level.

>>Can anyone point out whether such server is suitable
>>for a public stratum 1 server?

Not as an SNTP server. As a NTP server it would be great.

Danny