[ntp:questions] Re: Hardware SNTP server

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com
Tue Sep 13 06:30:26 UTC 2005

Danny Mayer wrote:

>>> Not as an SNTP server. As a NTP server it would be great.
>>

>> If the software is only talking to that 1 source of time, why does it
>> matter
>> if the software is SNTP v. NTP?
>>

> Because a stratum 1 server needs the full NTP protocol to be useful.

Danny, I have an awful lot of respect for your opinion, but in this
particular case I believe you're wrong:

Case in point:

The first S1 reference clock I aquired was a TrueTime NTS-100, which
isn't even close to full NTP, but still capable of keeping my corporate
network synchronized.

The FPGA server is in the same cathegory: It is missing a _lot_ of very
useful stuff, but it is still (eminently!) capable of delivering
properly timestamped NTP replies.

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at hda.hydro.com>