[ntp:questions] Re: NTP Public Services Project help - +1 hour setting

Tom Einertson tome at siemens-emis.com
Wed Sep 14 17:54:35 UTC 2005

"Harlan Stenn" <stenn at ntp.isc.org> wrote in message
news:ywn94q8xc1ot.fsf at ntp1.isc.org...
> It sounds like you have to do Something every year no matter which way you
> go.
>
> It also seems that the best way to go is to get a timezone editor creating
> the correct zone file for your client systems, and find a way to
distribute
> that information to your systems.  Probably using a method similar to how
> you deploy other software or patches to these client systems.
>
> I would recommend you document your problem and possible solutions at
> http://ntp.isc.org/Support .

I think that Harlan's suggestion to use a timezone editor and then
distribute the changes is the way to go.  Windows keeps the timezone
rules in the registry, so one way to update all those other computers
would be to find the registry entries that control this and propogate
those changes to all the other computers.

I recall when I looked into this sometime back, I managed to find the
registry entries that control time-zone info in Windows, although I
don't remember how.  If you can find the source for one of those
time-zone editors, you should be able to find that out, though.

Once you have found the right registry entries, you need to distribute
them to all those computers.  If you have any kind of remote command
execution capability (which I know is unlikely on Windows), you could
just execute a .reg file on each server.  If not that, you can do it
with a C program.  I believe that function RegConnectRegistry will
allow you to access the registry on another server.  This assumes that
you have sufficient permission to do this, etc.

Tom Einertson                              E-mail: tome at siemens-emis.com
SIEMENS Power Transmission & Distribution  Phone:  (952) 607-2244
Energy Management & Automation Division    Fax:    (952) 607-2018
10900 Wayzata Boulevard, Suite 400
Minnetonka, MN, 55305