[ntp:questions] Re: Need *very* small NTP-Server for Linux

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Sat Sep 17 19:08:54 UTC 2005

ntp is not a traditional client/server model.  It is "participatory"
(sharing ideas of the time) as oposed to master/slave.

You can build ntpd with no refclocks and the footprint will be much
smaller.

The ntp distribution comes with an sntp client that may be useful for you on
your client machines; there is currently a bug in sntp that will be fixed
for the ntp-4.2.1 release, which I expect will be later this month.

I recommend you carefully examine and understand your operational
requirements; you may decide that you can use timed instead, or you may
decide you can use sntp, or you may need full ntp.