[ntp:questions] Re: Need *very* small NTP-Server for Linux

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Sun Sep 18 09:36:17 UTC 2005

In article <dghq67$q09$1 at elvis.franken.de>,
Manuel Reimer <mreimer at despammed.com> wrote:

> I want to run the server on a small box running embedded linux. I

You will need the local clock driver at the very least.

> don't have many space there. The time on the box is accurate using

You might want to note that much of the apparent memory size of ntpd is
due to locking libc into memory.  If you are really space critical, you
should build a libc that doesn't have anything unnecessary in it, in
which case the marginal cost for ntpd will be quite small.

> other ways of synchronisation than NTP. Normally the time is only used

In that case you will be duplicating a lot of the NTP clock filter and
clock discipline code, or you will not have a high quality time.

> internally, but I want to share the time via NTP to clients in my network.

> I need a *very* small application which "takes" the current time on
> the system and "shares" this time via NTP. This application should not

It sound as though what you really need is a software equivalent of
the FPGA "SNTP" server discussed here last week.

> need any configuration file. I also need no command line interface

You need an HCI to:

1) set the leap warning indicator;
2) mark the time invalid if your time source fails.

You will also need some means of delaying the start of the server until
your other time synchronisation mechanism has locked up properly.