[ntp:questions] Are these Windows XP clients beyond hope?

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Mon Sep 19 08:58:50 UTC 2005

At 4:07 AM +0100 2005-09-19, Neil Trotter wrote:

>  4. List "nearest" servers first.
>
>  (To be truthful, I may have made #4 up, as it just seems to make sense -
>  but I *think* I remember reading this).

	It doesn't matter what order you list them in.  They will be used
regardless.

	However, you do generally want to use servers that are "closer"
to you (in a network topological sense, which doesn't always cleanly
map to geographical distance), because this reduces the latency
between you and the remote server, and that helps reduce jitter and
improve your ability to accurately estimate just how good the remote
servers are.

>  server 0.uk.pool.ntp.org iburst
>  server 1.uk.pool.ntp.org iburst
>  server 2.uk.pool.ntp.org iburst
>  server 0.europe.pool.ntp.org iburst
>  server 1.europe.pool.ntp.org iburst
>  server 2.europe.pool.ntp.org iburst

	Note that there is guaranteed to be some overlap somewhere
between the uk.pool.ntp.org and europe.pool.ntp.org zones, since the
UK has one of the largest groups of servers in the European region.
However, since there are so many servers listed in both of these
zones, the likelihood of your actually running into a collision is
lower, and the likelihood of all three of these colliding should be
virtually nil.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755