[ntp:questions] Re: question about the stratum

Heiko Gerstung heiko.gerstung_removeme_ at meinberg.de
Mon Sep 26 07:37:39 UTC 2005

Hi, Thierry:

Simplified configuration without any access restriction rules:

ntp.conf for MyMachine:
(please exchange "ntpserver" with the hostname or IP address of your NTP
server)
server ntpserver iburst

# Local Clock
# If you want your clients to follow MyMachine even if it lost
# syncronization with ntpserver:
server 127.127.1.0
fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 12

ntp.conf for your clients:
server MyMachine

As Paul already pointed out, you do not need to set the stratum of
anything else but MyMachine's local clock, as the stratum level is
automatically defined as "Stratum of Reference Time Source plus One".
So, if "ntpserver" has its own hardware reference clock, it is stratum
1, this leads to a stratum 2 MyMachine.

Kind regards,
Heiko