[ntp:questions] Re: NTP - Separate clock

Brian Utterback brian.utterback at sun.removeme.com
Tue Sep 27 16:16:56 UTC 2005

SivaKumar Subramani wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've successfully installed the NTP 4.2.0 and it works fine on solrais8.
> I've certain doubts, can any one clarify me?
>
> Is there any way in the NTP to avoid setting the system clock?
> I've tried this with command in the ntp.conf file by "disable pll"
> command, but this command still sets the system clock.
> Our requirement is to run a separate clock other than the system clock
> and pass on this time info to our registered clients.
>
> I would like to set the time by NTP other than the system clock.
> If possible to run a separate clock, how to run this clock and what need
> to be introduced in the ntp.conf file.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -Sivakumar.

Well, you can certainly configure NTP to not set the system clock and
read it only. That is "disable ntp" in the ntp.conf file. I am not sure
what you hope to accomplish by this, though.  You can also configure
a local reference clock and no other servers and then NTP will not try
to set the system clock (at least modulo a couple of small blips when it
first starts up that I don't understand) and just serve that time out as
it is.

--
blu

Remember when SOX compliant meant they were both the same color?