[ntp:questions] Re: An archetecture question....

Brian Utterback brian.utterback at sun.removeme.com
Thu Sep 29 17:00:09 UTC 2005

Matt Kinard wrote:
ease admire my 733t ASCII skillz.

> The configuration (on a Cisco Router) will look similar to:
>
> /server A prefer
> server B prefer
> server C
>
> /I know that this is a long way from an optimal configuration, but can
> you all see any glaring issues with the configuration?  Could you
> suggest a better alternative?  I've got a co-worker that is conviced
> that if C offers up a time that is radically different from A and B,
> we'll have problems.  Any thoughts?

Your co-worker is correct. The magic number with NTP is 4. You need
4 servers to consistently outvote one of their number that turns
traitor. And this presumes that they are independent; if they are
getting time from one another, even more might be needed.

Also, you do not need or want the prefer keywords, they just get in
the way of NTP doing its work.

--
blu

Remember when SOX compliant meant they were both the same color?