[ntp:questions] Best way to harness multiple stratum 1 servers

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Tue Apr 4 15:37:09 UTC 2006

After I finish some reconfiguration, I'll have the embarrassment of
riches of having five stratum one servers, each driven by an independent
refclock (two GPSDO, one WWVB, and two Cesium).  They all sit on a
private network behind my firewall/NAT box.  I also have a couple of
external servers on my DMZ that I'd like to make available as stratum 2
boxes for pool.ntp.org.

At first blush, it would seem that a stratum 2 box fed by five stratum
1s on a local wire should be a pretty good source of time.  However, in
the past, when I've played with syncing to multiple servers having very
similar offsets and delays, the stratum 2 box tended to jump from one
server to another, resulting in bad time service.

Is there a preferred configuration that would let the downstream box
have the benefit of the multiple stratum 1s, without jumping around?

Thanks,

John