[ntp:questions] Re: Best way to harness multiple stratum 1 servers

Ronan Flood ronan at noc.ulcc.ac.uk
Tue Apr 4 17:55:17 UTC 2006

jra at febo.com (John Ackermann N8UR) wrote:

> Old HP 5061As with the digital clock option; they provide a 1pps output
> to use with the ATOM driver.

Ta.  I see Symmetricom are selling the 5071 now, I shall have to
investigate their range (for our own purposes, see earlier posts).

> I guess my question may go to the fundamentals of ntp:  can an NTP
> server ever do better than any of the individual servers it sees?  In
> other words, does the algorithm blend the offset/jitter/delay
> information it has to generate a concept of time based on not just one,
> but the ensemble (or at least the survivors of the sanity checks), of
> the available servers?  If so, how best to configure that?

Left to itself ntpd is supposed to do that, and there is anti-hopping
code in newer versions -- see clock_select() in ntp_proto.c and the
description of mitigation in

  http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/prefer.html

--
                      Ronan Flood <R.Flood at noc.ulcc.ac.uk>