[ntp:questions] Re: exporting NTP from the US

Casper H.S.Dik Casper.Dik at Sun.COM
Wed Apr 5 10:01:00 UTC 2006

"David Schwartz" <davids at webmaster.com> writes:

>"Danny Mayer" <mayer at ntp.isc.org> wrote in message
>news:442B5696.2080700 at ntp.isc.org...

>> Well to be perfectly correct, it does not use encryption in operation
>> except for the generation of keys (ntpgen), but it does do
>> authentication in operation as well as using MD5 for packet validation.

>    Last I checked, I believe that US law had no restrictions on products
>that only use encryption for authentication, so long as data is sent in the
>clear. So you should be able to export a binary of NTP so long as it is
>statically-linked to its encryption routines. IANAL, and I am going from
>memory from a few years ago. Laws do change.

There are very few export restrictions now; they're actually more liberal
than import restrictions in some countries now.

Sun ships Solaris with 128 bit symmetrical encryption out of the box;
longer keys such as 448 bit blowfish and 256 bit AES can be downloaded
by nearly everyone.  The main reason for the non-integration of the
extended crypto at the time Solaris 10 first shipped were import
restrictions into Russia, France and Israel, IIRC.

Casper
--
Expressed in this posting are my opinions.  They are in no way related
be fiction rather than truth.