[ntp:questions] Re: Best way to harness multiple stratum 1 servers

Hal Murray hmurray at suespammers.org
Thu Apr 6 04:38:03 UTC 2006

>You're probably right, but my problem (if you can call having too many
>time sources a problem!) is that it's not intuitively clear which one of
>the servers is the best, other than that the WWVB server is
>significantly worse than the GPS and Cs ones.  But the GPS and Cs ones
>have very similar performance.  To the outside world it doesn't matter
>because the internet and even my firewall performance will mask
>differences at this level, but as an academic exercise, and on the local
>wire, I'd like to see if I can wring the best possible performance out
>of the system.

There is a noselect option on the server config line.  That goes
through all the normal actions of collecting data from the server,
including writing data to the log files, but never selects that
server as the syspeer.

Assuming you can get a PPS signal to the box of interest...

You can use the PPS signal as a good place to stand and
monitor the other boxes to see how well they perform.

You can try various things and use the PPS/noselect as a marker
to get an accurate marker of how far off your local clock is.
(I've never tried this.  It might not work.)