[ntp:questions] Re: Best way to harness multiple stratum 1 servers

Hal Murray hmurray at suespammers.org
Thu Apr 6 04:45:29 UTC 2006

>I'm probably asking NTP to perform at a level it's not really designed
>for, and that perhaps the OS/hardware can't even support (in terms of
>system clock stability and time resolution -- though a longer term goal
>is to replace the mobo clock with a source derived from the Cs to solve
>at least one problem).

Most of the mother boards I've looked at (not many) have a big
does-everything clock generator chip.  In particular, it includes
some spread-spectrum magic to reduce EMI.  Does anybody know
the temperature characteristcs of that spread spectrum area?
If I fed that chip a solid clock, could I still measure the
temperature by plotting the drift from NTP?

I've been daydreaming of a similar hack - get a good clock onto
a PCI card with a FPGA.  I'll say more if anybody is interested.