[ntp:questions] Re: Best way to harness multiple stratum 1 servers

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com
Thu Apr 6 08:32:24 UTC 2006

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

> I believe I have read the PHK has modified the ntpd PLL for use with
> refclocks such as GPS and Cesium.  I don't know PLL design from a hole
> in the ground but he might have improved the design for that specific
> purpose.  It's worth looking into!!
>
> BTW, what hardware and O/S are you using for this project?  Solaris
> 8/SPARC keeps time to a precision of one microsecond.  I don't know of
> any hardware/software that supports a higher precision but there may
> well be some.

AFAIK, Sun was the first to implement nanosecond kernel time resolution,
it is definitely a standard part of all FreeBSD systems, and an absolute
requirement if you want sub-microsecond GPS/Cs performance.

Ulrich Windl have maintained a set of patches to Linux to get ns there
as well.

Terje
--
- <Terje.Mathisen at hda.hydro.com>