[ntp:questions] Re: Best way to harness multiple stratum 1 servers

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Thu Apr 6 12:30:31 UTC 2006

Darryl Otzen said the following on 04/06/2006 06:37 AM:

> If your Cs and GPS all have a common freqency output signal (2048kHz,
> 10MHz), you can use a phase meter to track any difference between them.
> This will only be of benefit if you have three or more sources.
> I have done this with Cs references to keep track the performance of old
> units.

I already do time-interval comparisons (using a time interval counter
and GPIB to log data onto a Linux machine) of the PPS between the Cs and
GPS (and, soon, each other) so I have pretty good data on their
performance (see http://www.febo.com/time-freq/plots for the semi-live
data).

I'm looking at NTP as an auxiliary method, with the idea of having a
single network time source that represents the "best" time I can get
from the ensemble.  I don't *need* to do this, but since the tool is
there, I thought I'd try to wring as much out of it as possible.

John