[ntp:questions] correct NTP-configuration for combined Microsoft ADS- and UNIX/Linux-environment

WolverineJR jreitwiessner at samson.de
Thu Apr 6 18:44:19 UTC 2006

Hi,

I know, this is a very extensive question. But I think that this is the
best way to get a meaningful answer.

My company is situated in Germany and so we are subjected to the
rearrangement of the summertime. And so we had last monday the
catastrophe. All our "NTP-clients" were with one our out of sync.

This is our configuration:

NTP-Server: Windows 2003 Standard Server with ServicePack 1
                  Tobit Time:LAN! DCF77 receiver

NTP-Clients:

             - ADS-domain with two controllers
             - Solaris-server
             - Redhat-server
             - AIX-server

Before the rearrangement of the summertime, the time-settings of the

NTP-server:
Timezone: GMT+1 with automatic winter-/summertime-rearrangement

ADS-server and -clients:
Timezone: GMT+1 with automatic winter-/summertime-rearrangement

Solaris-server:
Timezone: MET and Europe/Berlin

Redhat-server:
Timezone: Europe/Berlin

AIX-server:
Timezone: NFT with automatic winter-/summertime-rearrangement

So that the authentication in the ADS-domain and the
NTP-synchronization with the correct daytime functioned after the
rearrangement of the summertime, we changed the time-settings of the

NTP-server:
Timezone: GMT+1

ADS-server and -clients:
Timezone: GMT+1

Solaris-server:
Timezone: MET-1

Redhat-server:
Timezone: GMT-1

AIX-server:
Timezone: NFT

So, know what will happen in October when the wintertime will get
active again? And did we perhaps choose the wrong way in the way we
"solved" the problem?