[ntp:questions] Re: correct NTP-configuration for combined Microsoft ADS- and UNIX/Linux-environment

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 6 22:09:15 UTC 2006

WolverineJR wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I know, this is a very extensive question. But I think that this is the
> best way to get a meaningful answer.
>
> My company is situated in Germany and so we are subjected to the
> rearrangement of the summertime. And so we had last monday the
> catastrophe. All our "NTP-clients" were with one our out of sync.
>
> This is our configuration:
>
> NTP-Server: Windows 2003 Standard Server with ServicePack 1
>                   Tobit Time:LAN! DCF77 receiver
>
> NTP-Clients:
>
>              - ADS-domain with two controllers
>              - Solaris-server
>              - Redhat-server
>              - AIX-server
>
> Before the rearrangement of the summertime, the time-settings of the
>
> NTP-server:
> Timezone: GMT+1 with automatic winter-/summertime-rearrangement
>
> ADS-server and -clients:
> Timezone: GMT+1 with automatic winter-/summertime-rearrangement
>
> Solaris-server:
> Timezone: MET and Europe/Berlin
>
> Redhat-server:
> Timezone: Europe/Berlin
>
> AIX-server:
> Timezone: NFT with automatic winter-/summertime-rearrangement
>
> So that the authentication in the ADS-domain and the
> NTP-synchronization with the correct daytime functioned after the
> rearrangement of the summertime, we changed the time-settings of the
>
> NTP-server:
> Timezone: GMT+1
>
> ADS-server and -clients:
> Timezone: GMT+1
>
> Solaris-server:
> Timezone: MET-1
>
> Redhat-server:
> Timezone: GMT-1
>
> AIX-server:
> Timezone: NFT
>
> So, know what will happen in October when the wintertime will get
> active again? And did we perhaps choose the wrong way in the way we
> "solved" the problem?

NTP should not be part of your problem.  NTP concerns itself ONLY with
UTC.  The time displayed by the computer should be UTC +/- the offset
appropriate for the timezone you have selected.

How the operating system handles timezones is specific to the O/S.  You
will not find much help here with setting the timezone or even which
timezone to set.

It may also be worth noting that Windows does not use NTP software;
Microsoft supplies a broken implementation of SNTP called W32TIME.  NTP
software is available for Windows if you wish to download and install it.