[ntp:questions] Re: D-link and hardcoded ntp servers

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang+gnus20060408T090504 at dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com
Sat Apr 8 16:25:31 UTC 2006

> http://people.freebsd.org/~phk/dlink/

I'm reminded of Yogi Berra's quote: It's like deja vu, all over again.

> I notice that most of the servers that are hardcoded in are from the
> public list but many of the have access limits.

I just replaced the firmware on my Linksys WRT54G router with Openwrt
and one benefit is that it doesn't hardwire any ntp servers.  The one
annoying thing about the embedded linux that everyone is using on
their routes is that it doesn't have any hooks for tweaking the kernel
clock frequency.  The clock seems to be free-running and one can only
step it.  Well, I guess I shouldn't criticize the dancing bear's
dancing.  It is pretty amazing to have what appears to be a fairly
featureful linux in a $50 device that takes half a dozen watts at
most.

The things I'm most impressed with in the Openwrt firmware are:

* a real ssh that can used an ".ssh/authorized_keys" file for
  industrial strength break-in resistance.

* an line editing-enabled /bin/sh look-alike

* a writable flash file system that looks just like a unix fs to the user.

* file-based and command-line based configuration so one can scp a
  copy of all the router's settings to a main machine for safe backup.

* an automated in-router way to download additional software.

* IPV6 - it also works just fine for both ssh and ntp.

Anyone that has one of the affected Dlink products might want to look
into replacing the firmware with the more featureful free/open version
from http://www.openwrt.org/ .

-wolfgang
Direct SIP URL Dialing: http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/phonedirectory.html