[ntp:questions] Different types of associations in the ntpq billboard

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Tue Apr 11 01:57:33 UTC 2006

Heiko Gerstung wrote:
> Hi, Folks:
>
> I just tested broadcastclient under Windows and saw that the association
> created based on the received ntp broadcasts is listed just like any
> unicast association.
>
> I thought that the "t" column refers to the association type, which can
> be "l" (for local refclocks such as hardware refclocks or the LOCAL
> refclock), "u" for "Unicast", "m" for "Multicast" and "b" for
> "Broadcast" associations.
>
> Is this a bug(tm) or a feature(tm), in other words: Is it really wanted
> to let broadcast associations look like unicast associations or did I
> get the meaning of the "t" column wrong?
>
> Kind regards,
> Heiko

I'm pretty sure that when I was testing this it showed a 'b' in that
column. I will have to check. I seem to remember that it's a 'u' until
it completes validation since it really is client server at that point.
I don't think that I checked without authentication and I wasn't able to
check windows for that.

Danny