[ntp:questions] Re: NTP over multicast sat link with no return channel

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Tue Apr 11 03:09:41 UTC 2006

Harlan Stenn wrote:
> Danny,
>
> I was not talking about autokey.  Autokey requires a dance.
>
> Private key does not, as I recall.

Okay, but I was reacting to this statement:

> I belive the 'auth' for broadcast is private key auth;

which is not correct. auth for broadcast and any other type of packet
can be either the private key that you are talking about or autokey.

You are correct that private key would not do the autokey dance though
if you did want to authenticate there's nothing wrong with that. The
concern here is with the asymmetry. To give at least some measure of
protection private key may be the best option.

Danny