[ntp:questions] Re: w32tm DC error

Franz f.mayer at web.de
Tue Apr 11 15:55:18 UTC 2006

Hej! First, thanks for all the help!

Command "netstat -na" shows [ip-address]:123

> If you install NTP instead of using microsoft's w32time we'd really be
> able to help you. Otherwise you need to take this to a Microsoft news group.
>
> You can install Meinberg's binary NTP kit and it should be simple to
> configure and use.
I had installed Meinberg NTP server binary, but it did not work
neither. Furthermore I just need an ordinary NTP client, which gets a
synchronized NTP timestamp. I have to implement NTP then in a C++
program, which should run on ordinary Windows machines.

> you can use netstat -an |grep "123" from the DOS Command line to get a
> short list of ntp ports.
The command netstat -an |grep "123" didn't work on my machine.

*TRACE & ENVIRONMENT*
My computer is directly connected to the internet and I tried to trace
time.windows.com and europe.pool.ntp.org. As you can see in
http://www.servus-web.de/sweden/thesis/tracert.txt  time.microsoft.com
timed out, but for europe.pool.ntp.org can be traced, but still the
result of "w32tm /monitor /computers:europe.pool.ntp.org" is:
europe.pool.ntp.org [82.67.125.122]:
    ICMP: 94ms delay.
    NTP: error ERROR_TIMEOUT - no response from server in 1000ms

*EVENTVIEWER / EVENTLOG*
Unfortunately, I missed some error messages in the EventViewer, because
they have been recently in "Application" instead of "System";
however, I don't get the reason for the error:
The description for Event ID ( 17 ) in Source ( W32Time ) cannot be
found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote
computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this
description; see Help and Support for details. The following
information is part of the event: time.microsoft.com; A socket
operation was attempted to an unreachable host. (0x80072751); 60.

*SQL SERVER*
I read in
http://www.ntp.org/ntpfaq/NTP-s-trbl-spec.htm#S-TRBL-SPEC-WINNT that MS
SQL Server might cause problems for NTP, so I stopped SQL Server (but
did not de-install it).

*ETHEREAL*
ethereal only catches outgoing NTP packets, but no incoming NTP
packets.

So it seems that NTP packets are sent to the NTP server, but the
response packet can't reach my computer. Any idea?

Thanks in advance.
Regards, Franz