[ntp:questions] Re: Improving ACTS performance

John Pettitt jpp at cloudview.com
Wed Apr 12 19:22:49 UTC 2006

David J Taylor wrote:
> BigHug wrote:
>> David J Taylor wrote:
>>
>>> Is a wireless link any use to you?
>>> What sort of accuracies do you need?
>>>
>>> David
>> Hi, David:
>> We had the GPS implemented already. My company likes to spend money.
>> Wireless link from GPS antenna? Sound interesting.
>
> I was thinking of locating an NTP server near the antenna, perhaps one of
> the single-board computers with flash storage, and having a wireless link
> from that to the rest of the networks.  I then wondered how much jitter
> the wireless link might add.  Just idle wondering!
>
> Cheers,
> David

It depends.  Wireless is like un-switched ethernet (remember that?) so the amount of traffic is
going to impact the jitter.  I suspect that it will still be way better than a non-temperature
compensated clock talking to ACTS every few hours.   If you are going withe a single board solution
check out www.soekris.com - great products, run FreeBSD or Linux, very low power usage and several
people already using them as NTP boxes.

John (now with three independent stratum 1 severs at home)