[ntp:questions] Re: w32tm DC error

Ry malayter at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 19:58:47 UTC 2006

I would say your univeristy people have blocked UDP port 123 for a
reason.

First, using their internal time server saves network resources. NTP is
supposed to work in a hierarchical manner, so if they're providing you
good stratum-2 or -1 time locally, you should use that.

Secondly, and this is probably the REAL reason, is that there are many
peer-to-peer applications that try to "tunnel out" using standard
application ports. I know that some will try to use the DNS port to get
around firewalls, so it makes sense that some will try to use the NTP
port as well.