[ntp:questions] Re: NTP client on Windows platform provides less accurate results then on the UNIX or Linux. Why?

Brian Inglis Brian.Inglis at SystematicSW.Invalid
Fri Apr 14 05:29:54 UTC 2006

fOn Thu, 13 Apr 2006 08:06:27 -0500 in comp.protocols.time.ntp, Terje
Mathisen <terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com> wrote:

>Ry wrote:
>> Here's the actual link:
>> http://research.microsoft.com/users/misard/papers/aes2004.pdf
>>
>> Basically, the MS guys moved most everything into a kernel mode driver
>> and alter NTP to poll every 4 seconds. No problem for their
>> application, since all devices are on the same LAN as the master audio
>> clock. I can't decide if the ±50µs accuracy is impressive or not...
>> but obviously they wouldn't have modified NTP so heavily if it would
>> have met the application's needs out of the box.
>They also claim to have invented 'burst' mode, i.e. they send 5 packets
>during each polling period and select the median. :-)
>
>If the kernel timestamping and improved OS clock resolution is or could
>become available in a standalone driver, then this would represent a big
>boost for Windows-based NTP servers.

Does anyone else want a bunch of Windows systems sending 5 packets
every 4 seconds to NTP servers? ;^>

--
Thanks. Take care, Brian Inglis 	Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Brian.Inglis at CSi.com 	(Brian[dot]Inglis{at}SystematicSW[dot]ab[dot]ca)
    fake address		use address above to reply