[ntp:questions] Re: WWVB 60kHz Receiver

Ry malayter at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 16:24:11 UTC 2006

My Cingular GSM phone works in the datacenter, so I imagine a CDMA
refclock might work for us.

But haven't most mobile phone carriers moved away from CDMA? Are
precise time signals still broadcast as part of the newer "spread
spectrum" 3G standards? (EV-DO seems to be based on CDMA at least in
part, but I'm not sure about GSM/UTMS). Would a CDMA refclock be a
short-term solution given the rollout of newer standards by the mobile
phone carriers?

I'll ask these same questions of vendors, of course, to discover how
"future-proof" their products are. But vendors are not likely to have
an unbiased view of the long-term viability of CDMA as a time source.

Thanks,
  Ry