[ntp:questions] Re: WWVB 60kHz Receiver

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at uk.me.buzzard
Mon Apr 17 17:33:50 UTC 2006

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 19:25:54 -0400, Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

[SNIP]

> Does anyone still make this sort of hardware?  Other than the occasional
> antiques available on e-Bay, I have not heard of any.

No idea, but you can cheaply interface OEM boards, similar to the type
that go in clocks to the serial port of a computer and then decode the
signal. I run both a MSF and DCF77 clock using this technique here in the
UK. My design and software also works with WWVB.

    http://www.buzzard.me.uk/jonathan/radioclock.html

At the moment I am working on some new advanced statistical filtering of
the signal that should provide *much* better decoding with weak signals.
No promise on the timescale when it will be ready however.

At the moment it exists as a Matlab program that runs against a previously
recorded HBG signal, that I normally cannot decode reliably with the
simplistic methods. However the Matlab program can decode the signal
accurately better than 90% of the time. It will need converting into C and
made to work in real time to be useful however.

JAB.

Northumberland, United Kingdom.       Tel: +44 1661-832195