[ntp:questions] Using ntp4 as client for ntp3

Joachim Schrod jschrod at acm.org
Wed Apr 19 12:09:48 UTC 2006

Hello,

I want to use ntpd4 clients (e.g., Linux boxes) against xntpd3 servers
(actually, a Solaris 8 xntpd). Since I'm not the administrator of the Solaris
boxes, I don't want to trigger an update to the open source distribution, but
want to use the stock xntpd from Sun. This way it fits better in the standard
company upgrade and patch process.

In the FAQ, I've read in Q4.1.7, that one must be careful with such a situation:
    If you are worried with compatibility issues, older version clients can
    generally talk to newer version servers automagically (as newer servers know
    how to answer the queries, hopefully), but the other direction requires
    manual interference (See html/confopt.htm about the version keyword).
I didn't found much further information though, about potential incompatibilites
or problems. (I looked in the docs and googled for an hour or so...)

Can anybody please shed more light on that issue? Should I specify "version 3"
in the ntp.conf of the ntp4 clients, to be on the safe side? Or is this a
non-issue and it Just Works?

I was wondering, because at another installation I have seen a Linux box with
ntp4 as a time server for a company network, which synchronizes against ntpd3
servers without any version option in the configuration file; and that seems to
work without problems.

While I'm at it -- are there any version problems known between Windows w32time
and Sol8 xntpd? (I know about the problem that w32time doesn't use client mode
from time to time and that one must enforce that if necessary.)

Thanks in advance for any answer,

	Joachim

Joachim Schrod				Email: jschrod at acm.org
Roedermark, Germany