[ntp:questions] Re: Windows won't settle

Ry malayter at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 02:49:56 UTC 2006

When you use the "0x8" after the NTP server, w32time ignores the
"special poll interval", and uses various algorithms to decide how
frequently it needs to poll the NTP server. The special poll interval
(which defaults to 3600) is used for contacting time.windows.com by
default. I suppose MS does this to ensure they don't get DoS'd by all
the windows boxes out there with faulty clocks.

I am reconfiguring my home XP SP 2 system (which was running the real
NTP) to use Windows Time and a local NTP server to see how it performs.
I know Windows Time on Server 2003 Sp1 performs much better than what
you're seeing (<20 ms usually).