[ntp:questions] Re: Clock accuracy & auto setting : digital television does a crap job of providing time services...

You have no need to know anjahnoaoed at fl.net.invalid
Mon Apr 24 00:31:23 UTC 2006

Abandoning the right to remain silent, Richard B. Gilbert at Sun, 23 Apr
2006 11:11:40 -0400 said:

> You have no need to know wrote:
>
>> Abandoning the right to remain silent, Marc Brett at Fri, 21 Apr 2006
>> 08:40:57 +0100 said:

>>>Immoral?  That's a bit strong, innit?  You don't NEED to rely on
>>>satellites for time signals.  There are many LF radio time signals, such
>>>as WWV, WWVB, WWVH, CHU, MSF, DCF77, and others.  CDMA cell phone towers
>>>broadcast a time signal.
>>

>> Immoral sounds good to me. If you can point me in the direction of an LF
>> receiver that works in Australia I might reconsider.
>>
>> Or a CDMA receiver at a price similar to one of those LF receivers that
>> everyone raves about.
>>

> And where did the Lord assign anyone the duty to provide you with a time
> signal?  The United States Government built, launched, and maintains a
> network of twenty-seven GPS satellites at no cost to the Australian
> citizen.  A Garmin GPS18-LVC timing receiver will cost you less than $100
> US.

GLONASS probably does too. Not by the time you get a Garmin freighted
here, pay import duties, install an external antenna and power. It's
simpler to spend the extra and get a GPS clock http://www.gpsclock.com/

> The only "morality" involved is the questionable "morality" of believing
> that the world owes you a time signal at no cost to you.

I don't seem to recall saying the world owes me an LF receiver. I was
observing that 99% of the people who post here say how accurate and cheap
they are, when for a reasonable percentage of the earth's surface there is
no coverage.

> Perhaps the Japanese can help you out.  I seem to recall that JJY
> broadcasts a time signal; ISTR I heard it on 5MHz when I was stationed in
> Japan.

As observed in another post JJY 60 kHz can be received some of the time,
but why would anyone want a solution that only works occasionally.

--
Avoid reality at all costs.
$email =~ s/n(.)a(.)n(.)a(.)e(.+)invalid/$1$2$3$4$5au/;