[ntp:questions] Re: Starting ntpd with no network

Andrew Brooks arb at sat.dundee.ac.uk
Mon Apr 24 15:29:54 UTC 2006

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 15:51:35 +0100, Richard B. Gilbert
<rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote:
> Do you specify DNS addresses or numeric IP addresses in your server
> statements?  I believe that if a DNS lookup fails, it is not retried.

I used DNS names (that's the whole point of the DNS!).  Now I can see
an older thread about DNS lookups failing but I can't access the bug
database at ntp.isc.org because of a MySQL error.  It would be good if
this could be fixed otherwise there's no obvious ERROR message in syslog
to indicate that the computer is now running completely unsynchronised.
As a workaround I'll put IP addresses in my conf file for now ;-)

Andrew