[ntp:questions] Re: problem of ntpd on W2K DCs

Hal Murray hmurray at suespammers.org
Wed Apr 26 05:04:37 UTC 2006

>What puzzle me is that after I stop ntpd the clock still went wild
>until reboot. Does ntpd change system/kernel even being stopped?

I'd expect it to leave the last best estimate of the drift
setup in the kernel.

That's generally the right thing to do if the drift is good and
you stop ntpd for some reason.

You probably don't need to reboot to get going again.  Just
delete your local drift file and restart ntpd.

[I don't know anything about windows.  I don't think any of this
is windows specific.]