[ntp:questions] Re: problem of ntpd on W2K DCs

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk
Wed Apr 26 07:06:58 UTC 2006

BigHug wrote:
> Hi,
> I try to install ntpd (v4.2.0a) on our windows servers. On our W2K
> domain controllers, the ntpd  won't get settle. The clock drift is
> over 500 ppm. After stopping ntpd, the clock is still drifting over
> 1000 ppm. However, after I rebooted the box, the ntpd acts normal and
> the drift is about 20 ppm.  It happened on 3 DCs, but did not happen
> on other servers.
>
> There are no other time services running besides ntpd.
> ntp.conf has sever command with iburst and driftfile command.
> ntpd is from Meinberg with -g option.
>
> What puzzle me is that after I stop ntpd the clock still went wild
> until reboot. Does ntpd change system/kernel even being stopped?
>
> Thanks for any help.

I'm not sure if it's relevant here, but I have seen poor timekeeping on
both XP and Win2K once the multimedia timers have been enabled.  Some
software seems to enable and disable these timers during its operation,
causing a glitch each time.  With the Meinberg release, there is an option
to keep the multimedia timers running permanently, and I would suggest you
ensure that option is enabled.

NTPD will alter the clock rate, but I don't know if it restores the
original rate when it is stopped.  I rather suspect not.  How were you
monitoring the clock when NTPD was stopped?

Cheers,
David