[ntp:questions] FreeBSD PPS setup (was Re: PPS Driver -- getting wrong REFID and stratum when peer isn't local refclock)

Koos van den Hout koos at cs.uu.nl
Wed Apr 26 14:40:52 UTC 2006

Followup to self, as stuff got working.

Koos van den Hout <koos at cs.uu.nl> wrote:

> I'm trying to do almost the same and no luck yet on the PPS bit.

It's working now. Good ntp time takes time (pun intended).

relevant part of kernel config:

options         PPS_SYNC                # for ntpd

relevant part of devfs.conf:

link cuaa0 pps0

(indeed, the PPS cable hangs of carrier detect on /dev/cuaa0)

ntp.conf:

# get time from stardate

server stardate.cs.uu.nl prefer iburst

driftfile /var/ntp/ntp.drift

# fudge a local clock at stratum 10

server  127.127.1.0
fudge   127.127.1.0 stratum 10

# talk pps

enable pps kernel auth

server 127.127.22.0
#  minpoll 4 maxpoll 4 version 4
fudge  127.127.22.0 flag3 1
fudge  127.127.22.0 refid PPS

# access restrictions . localhost and staff can check everything. rest can
# get the time

restrict 127.0.0.1
restrict 131.211.80.0 mask 255.255.254.0
restrict default kod notrap nopeer noquery

keys /etc/ntp.keys
trustedkey 3

# moeltiepaas!

broadcast 224.0.1.1 ttl 2 key 3

# announce policy

setvar access_policy="experimental server not suitable for production" default

stardate is our meinberg gps clock. A very accurate clock, but we're not
going to let it be accessible from the Internet at large. A good stratum 2
server is much better.

                                                 Koos

--
Koos van den Hout koos at cs.uu.nl PGP keyid 0x27513781 (Use PGP!)