[ntp:questions] Server time wandering even with ntpd

Michael Weber mweber at alliednational.com
Wed Apr 26 13:00:29 UTC 2006

Greetings!

I'm brand new to this list so if this isn't the correct place for this question, please flame gently.

I am running an Oracle database on two Dell 2650 servers.  I run a script that resets the clock every night because after 24 hours the clock can be as much as 45 seconds off.  I have 20 other servers, running lots of OS's with no problem.  It's just these two servers which are the only two of this model I have in house.

I am running ntpd during the day, but it doesn't seem to be able to correct for the time issue.  I run it with this command line:
         ntpd -U ntp -p /var/run/ntpd.pid -g

I realize that it is probably a hardware thing, but we got what we paid for with the Dell servers.

Here are the config's on that server:

# cd /etc/ntp
# ls -l
total 8
-rw-r--r--    1 ntp      ntp             9 Apr 26 06:01 drift
-rw-------    1 ntp      ntp           266 Feb  3  2004 keys
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           11 Apr 24 09:39 ntp.conf -> ../ntp.conf
-rw-r--r--    1 ntp      ntp             0 Feb  3  2004 step-tickers

# cat drift
-134.277

# cat ntp.conf

server phone2.alliednational.com

driftfile /etc/ntp/drift

authenticate no

I am running a script every hour that shuts down ntpd, runs ntpdate against the in-house time server (phone2) and restarts ntpd again.  I grab the output of that script in a log file which I copied below:

Shutting down ntpd: [  OK  ]
26 Apr 05:01:00 ntpdate[26000]: adjust time server 10.1.128.2 offset 0.043594 sec
Starting ntpd: [  OK  ]
Shutting down ntpd: [  OK  ]
26 Apr 06:01:04 ntpdate[26207]: step time server 10.1.128.2 offset 3.162581 sec
Starting ntpd: [  OK  ]
Shutting down ntpd: [  OK  ]
26 Apr 07:01:01 ntpdate[26383]: step time server 10.1.128.2 offset 0.567207 sec
Starting ntpd: [  OK  ]

As you can see, the time sync is wandering all over the place.  Because this database is used for our employees timeclock, and it was getting as much as a minute off by the end of the day, I had to update the clock every hour or people would start to complain.  I was running the script every day, but it wasn't enough.

Any ideas how to keep ntpd more in control?  I would really like to see the clock stick with the time server like it does on all my other servers.  I run ntpdate every night on every box, and I usually get a few millisecond adjustment, except on these two servers.

Thanx!

-Michael

E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication and any associated
file(s) may contain privileged, confidential or proprietary
information or be protected from disclosure under law ("Confidential
Information").  Any use or disclosure of this Confidential Information,
or taking any action in reliance thereon, by any individual/entity
other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited.  This
Confidential Information is intended solely for the use of the
individual(s) addressed. If you are not an intended recipient, you
have received this Confidential Information in error and have an
obligation to promptly inform the sender and permanently destroy,
in its entirety, this Confidential Information (and all copies
thereof).  E-mail is handled in the strictest of confidence by
Allied National, however, unless sent encrypted, it is not a secure
communication method and may have been intercepted, edited or
altered during transmission and therefore is not guaranteed.