[ntp:questions] Re: Server time wandering even with ntpd

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Thu Apr 27 14:18:44 UTC 2006

Michael,

Michael Weber wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I'm brand new to this list so if this isn't the correct place for this
> question, please flame gently.
>
> I am running an Oracle database on two Dell 2650 servers.  I run a script
> that resets the clock every night because after 24 hours the clock can be
> as much as 45 seconds off.  I have 20 other servers, running lots of OS's
> with no problem.  It's just these two servers which are the only two of
> this model I have in house.

I've heard similar things from people running Oracle under Windows, but you
seem to run Oracle under some *ix version.

It turned out that the problem was due to the IDE drives that were used. Do
you also use IDE drives, or SCSI? Are the drives used by Oracle running in
raw mode?

ntpd can just try to synchronize the system clock, but it is unable to
account for crap left by buggy hard disk drivers.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Meinberg Funkuhren