[ntp:questions] Re: Server time wandering even with ntpd

Michael Weber mweber at alliednational.com
Thu Apr 27 16:42:01 UTC 2006

Hello, Martin.

>Michael,
>
>Michael Weber wrote:
>> Greetings!
>>
>> I'm brand new to this list so if this isn't the correct place for this
>> question, please flame gently.
>>
>> I am running an Oracle database on two Dell 2650 servers.  I run a script
>> that resets the clock every night because after 24 hours the clock can be
>> as much as 45 seconds off.  I have 20 other servers, running lots of OS's
>> with no problem.  It's just these two servers which are the only two of
>> this model I have in house.
>
>I've heard similar things from people running Oracle under Windows, but you
>seem to run Oracle under some *ix version.
>
>It turned out that the problem was due to the IDE drives that were used. Do
>you also use IDE drives, or SCSI? Are the drives used by Oracle running in
>raw mode?
>
>ntpd can just try to synchronize the system clock, but it is unable to
>account for crap left by buggy hard disk drivers.
>

>Martin

This server is running on a SAN so there are no IDE drives.  There are no hard drives at all, in fact.  All storage, except the CD, is through the fibre channel card.

I have also seen the IDE issue messing with the clock, but I didnt think it still had that effect when the only IDE device was a CD.

-Michael

E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication and any associated
file(s) may contain privileged, confidential or proprietary
information or be protected from disclosure under law ("Confidential
Information").  Any use or disclosure of this Confidential Information,
or taking any action in reliance thereon, by any individual/entity
other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited.  This
Confidential Information is intended solely for the use of the
individual(s) addressed. If you are not an intended recipient, you
have received this Confidential Information in error and have an
obligation to promptly inform the sender and permanently destroy,
in its entirety, this Confidential Information (and all copies
thereof).  E-mail is handled in the strictest of confidence by
Allied National, however, unless sent encrypted, it is not a secure
communication method and may have been intercepted, edited or
altered during transmission and therefore is not guaranteed.