[ntp:questions] Re: Server time wandering even with ntpd

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Fri Apr 28 07:34:31 UTC 2006

Michael,

Michael Weber wrote:
> This server is running on a SAN so there are no IDE drives.  There are no
> hard drives at all, in fact.  All storage, except the CD, is through the
> fibre channel card.
>
> I have also seen the IDE issue messing with the clock, but I didnt think
> it still had that effect when the only IDE device was a CD.

Basically the problem could be with any driver which is disabling interrupts
for too long so that timer tick interrupts get lost. However, IDE drivers
have been good candidates for this problem in the past, across a bunch of
different operating systems.

As others have already mentioned, it seems indeed more likely in your case
that the problem is due to SMI interrupts made by the BIOS. I don't see any
reason why SMI should cause lost timer ticks, but this should let the
system clock drift seriously even without ntpd, no matter which OS is
installed.

So you should really bother Dell with that problem and ask them to fix it.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Meinberg Funkuhren