[ntp:questions] Re: Clock accuracy & auto setting : digital television does a crap job of providing time services...

G-squared stratus46 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 29 04:25:44 UTC 2006

Max Power wrote:
> >>In North America, the FM RDS time service is of very low quality.
> >>In Europe (I understand) this is not the case with RDS.
> >>Stations running RDS should be mandated by law to provide a quality
> >>service -- based on transmitter power and coverage area.
> >>Over time RDS's time service should be uniform.
> >>DRM (on MW and SW) time service is of a lower quality than RDS -- but
> >>could
> >>be upgraded with a specialized "80 bit" NTP-UNIX time packet.
> >>
> >>ATSC and DVB-T (& DVB-H/M) need a uniform ~"80 bit"...~"128 bit" time
> >>packet
> >>service that is well thought out.
> >>Futureproofing is important, so probably 128 bits or more is preferable.
>
> No I am not suggesting this.
> 64 extra bits can help futureproof a signal however...
> ================
> >  128 bits?  What do you want - to specify the time of the heat death of
> > the
> > universe (long after our sun dies) to nanosecond resolution, then be able
> > tell the time of the death of the next universe (if there is one)?
>
> Turing NTP into a very high precision signal is possible -- but I advocate
> split versions of the signal.
> Otherwise, for consumers the extra 64 bits could be used for other time
> related services and futureproofing.
> ================
> >  64 bit NTP is probably quite adequate, and definitely enough bits if
> > one doesn't insist on the NTP nanosecond precision.
>
> NTP does have its origins with Unix Time, and Unix / Linix / Minix ... need
> to be upgraded to account for 64 bit time [to help avert the 2038 crisis] --
> but not NTP time. However, Unix Time and NTP have always had near perfect
> interoperability for at least 2 decades...
> ================
> >  However, the time information doesn't need to be NTP, or IP based.
> > By the way, NTP is not a part of unix.
>
> This 'time ignorance' socally acceptable now, but bad public policy.
> Lack of use of UTC is a bad policy, but this is an ATSC problem -- not a
> DVB-T problem.
> HDTV is very late Beta -- but when HDTV is omnipresent the lack of accurate
> time avalability should not be the case.
> Your HDTV set should be able to sync its own clock after being turned on for
> 5 minutes.
> HDTV sets shoul be able to set the clocks of other devices [VCR's, DVD's,
> set top boxes] using whatever [TV] connection technology that will exist in
> future.
> Commerical stations not providing an accurate time signal [to within 1.0s]
> should be punished (based on transmitter power) -- the ethics of this being
> that that keeping broacast clock accuracy requires virturally no cost
> overehead and provides a public service function. A lot of ATSC transmission
> energy goes into sending 'empty packets' or 'nulls' -- replacing 1% {per
> hour} of nulls with time signal packets would yield instant time sync.
> [...]

You actually think broadcasters DON'T know what time it is? They know
better than nearly anyone else precisely what time it is. The fact that
they don't make an effort  for the 25 of us actually watching the
digital feeds means what? You don't remember last months thread about
DTV being a sideline?

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.tv.tech.hdtv/browse_thread/thread/1223ab0dd28cda08/d835cf5b6d6f8c77#d835cf5b6d6f8c77

Be patient. They'll get to it as it gets closer to analog cutoff. I'm
sure you can sort out what time it is on your own. Maybe this will help
in the meantime.

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Pacific/d/-8/java

Perhaps the fines should be on the people out here who can't figure out
what time it is. Just what broadcasters need. More regulations.

GG