[ntp:questions] Re: NTP High Jitter and Reject Condition

Heiko Gerstung heiko.gerstung_removeme_ at meinberg.de
Tue Aug 1 10:46:51 UTC 2006

ter310 at gmail.com schrieb:
> Hello all,
>
> I am completely stumped by an NTP problem that I am having on a server.
>  I've googled and tried everything to no luck, am hoping that someone
> here can provide some advice.  Here is the situation:
>
> I have a server running CentOS 4.3 2.6.9-34.0.2.ELsmp on a PDSMi
> Supermicro motherboard with a Celeron D 3.06GHz processor.  Note, I'm
> running an SMP kernel so that APIC can handle the interrupts properly.
>
> I have /etc/ntp.conf configured to the CentOS 4.3 defaults, which means
> it is polling the 0-2.pool.ntp.org server pool.  Upon boot, everything
> looks okay, but within a minute or two, the jitter sky rockets:

[cut ntpq -p output]

Tom,

Looking at the differences of the two billboards you sent us, your clock
is really running fast ( 600 ms in two minutes? God heavens! ).

NTP will give up when it faces such a big problem, so your first goal is
to get your system clock in a healthy state. Try it with a non-SMP
kernel first in order to rule out the SMP kernel as a potential cause
and it might be a good idea to contact the vendor of your server or
mainboard and ask for help (BIOS update available?).

Best regards,
Heiko

MEINBERG Radio Clocks
www.meinberg.de

IRIG. Rackmount and desktop versions and PCI slot cards.