[ntp:questions] Re: 15-second difference in time

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk
Wed Aug 2 07:35:51 UTC 2006

Dave wrote:
> Hello,
>    I've got a FreeBSD box acting as an ntp server for my local lan.
> All boxes connect up to it for synchronization of time. I run a
> network capable backup program called bacula and today while running
> a backup between two machines i got an error that the time between
> the two differed by 15 seconds. I realize this isn't a lot of time,
> but reading the ntp docs i was under the impression that ntp would
> keep all boxes on my lan within milliseconds accurate of each other.
> If this is so i'd appreciate any suggestions as to what my issue
> might be. Thanks.
> Dave.

Dave,

You say: "All boxes connect up to it for synchronization of time".  Do you
mean that all boxes run the NTP software as a client to the FreeBSD box
(this is the way in which NTP is normally deployed), or that once every so
often all boxes go and get the time from the FreeBSD system, and then just
drift at random?  If the latter, then NTP isn't controlling all boxes, if
the former than you have an issue.  What OS is running on "all boxes"?

David