[ntp:questions] Re: 15-second difference in time

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Wed Aug 2 11:20:09 UTC 2006

Dave wrote:

> Hello,
>     I've got a FreeBSD box acting as an ntp server for my local lan. All
> boxes connect up to it for synchronization of time. I run a network capable
> backup program called bacula and today while running a backup between two
> machines i got an error that the time between the two differed by 15
> seconds. I realize this isn't a lot of time, but reading the ntp docs i was
> under the impression that ntp would keep all boxes on my lan within
> milliseconds accurate of each other. If this is so i'd appreciate any
> suggestions as to what my issue might be.
> Thanks.
> Dave.

Without knowing any more than the above, it's not possible to tell!

What version(s) of ntpd are you running?  Which operating systems are
you running them on?  What hardware?

My first guess would be that ntpd is not running at all on one or more
machines.

How about posting the output of "ntpq -p" for the affected machines?