[ntp:questions] Re: Y2038 bug strikes early

Casper H.S.Dik Casper.Dik at Sun.COM
Wed Aug 2 11:10:31 UTC 2006

"Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> writes:

>The available evidence (Y2K) suggests that the problem will not be
>addressed until 2036 at the earliest.  "It's not going to break in my
>working lifetime so why should I fix it?"!!!!!  As I recall the Y2K
>problem was first noted sometime in the 1970s.  It didn't need to be
>fixed for 25 years so nobody worried about it.

OSes are moving to 64 bitness rapidly and as such we hope
to see fewer and fewer 32 bit UNIX OSes and programs with
bad timestamp handling.

Casper
--
Expressed in this posting are my opinions.  They are in no way related
be fiction rather than truth.