[ntp:questions] NTP stratum problem

wicks bsjay at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 3 00:23:28 UTC 2006

Hello,

We have solris stations with ntp 4.2, act as a server and clients.
These Solaris clients act as peers when the server is down. We have
Vxworks machines polling these Solaris clients using VxWorks
SntpTimeGet command.
This setup works fine, except vxworks machines do not get ntp synced
from solaris clients, when the server is down. ( When the solaris
clients boot up - Ntp server is down). This problem does not happen if
ntp server goes down once solaris clients get synced initially to the
ntp server.

>From TCPDUMP, we found that solris clients send stratum 0 to vxworks,
when they do not get synced to the ntp server( initially), vxworks does
not accept ntp messages with stratum set to Zero.

Is there a way to set clients statum to non zero value, before clients
get synced to the ntp server?

Our config file is:
tinker stepout 20
server 10.2.10.70          prefer burst minpoll 4 maxpoll 6
server 10.2.10.71         burst minpoll 4 maxpoll 6

peer 10.2.10.21
peer 10.2.10.22

broadcast 224.0.0.1 ttl 4

enable auth monitor